Finding Your Personal Strength When the Going Gets Rough
Experiencing challenging phases in life can really test your mettle. When you encounter those bumps in the road, how do you react?
Are you able to deal effectively with these challenges without going to pieces?
Could you use some help in finding your inner strength?
Try these ideas to tap in to your personal reserves whenever the going gets tough:
1. Take some time to ponder the present dilemma. What do you see as the real issue? Are you making a mountain out of a mole-hill? How can you focus your efforts on the current event that’s troubling you?
2. Acknowledge your fears about the vexing situation. Before you can show resilience to move forward, it’s important to recognize any fears that have a bearing on your current circumstances. Ignoring them will only serve to thwart you from confronting the issue. When I have an issue I can no longer handle I simply turn it over to God/Divine to take care of. Sometimes getting it off our shoulders frees us and we see things in a better perspective.
3. Consider every option. Writing down your options for overcoming your challenge will help you see the situation from all angles. Brainstorming as many solutions as you can is a great start to finding a workable option. Be open-minded. Sometimes you have to remind yourself to not automatically screen out possible solutions to a sticky wicket. Every viable possibility should be considered. Considering every possible solution indicates you have the resilience to succeed.
4. Approach the challenge with positivity. It may sound over-simplified, but you can either approach a stumbling block thinking, “I don’t think I’m going to survive it” or “I’m going to do my best and make my way through this situation.” Taking a positive outlook will compel you to move forward through the crisis. Be optimistic!
5. Avoid looking too far ahead. Focus on what’s going on in this moment. Sometimes, it helps to make it through 1 hour at a time. Concentrate your energy on what you can do in the here and now. Take baby steps if needed. Sometimes I like to make a check list and feel good when I can cross something off.
6. Pray. Draw from your religious faith to help you through. Spirituality regularly assists millions of people to live consistently healthy, happy lives. Perhaps finding faith would bring you the inner strength you desire. * (If you are searching for faith, a Christian based church see info below).
7. Seek emotional support from those you love. Any troubling event is easier to navigate through when you feel the love and support from someone close to you. Bolster your “resilience reserves” by getting a little help from your friends and family members. Although it might be difficult for you to reach out and say, “I’m struggling,” look at it this way: your loved ones will feel better if you give them opportunities to be there for you. Accept the loving and supportive care that your loved ones are so willing to provide. You’ll likely have a chance in the future to reciprocate.
When I am feeling down I text a dear friend or sister and send the a 'gif' to show them I have not forgotten them, which I receive one in return, we have a wee bit of a chat. And that's enough to brighten both our days.
8. Soothe your spirit. What calms you down, makes you feel peace, and brings you simple joy?
Take time to participate in your favorite activities to soothe your frayed
*Taking a walk in the woods, swimming a few laps at the pool, or doing a 2 hand craft or hobby at home can be one of the most self-soothing things you can do when you’re experiencing a tricky life phase.
9. Embrace your strength. Remember that your strength has pulled you through many crises in the past. Have confidence that it can continue to bolster you through many more.
10. Give yourself credit and pats on the back. Celebrate even the little things by yelling 'wahoooooo!' :) Every time you pass a mirror look yourself in the eye and say, "Gee I love you..... or you are fantastic,.... or you are beautiful / handsome."
Life can be exhilarating, interesting, and challenging. When you encounter a block in your path, allow your resilience to shine through.
These strategies can help you draw on your inner strength to live a meaningful, enriched existence, no matter what type of challenge you encounter.
You are a spirit being having a human experience. Love yourself, be kind, and have a wonderful, blessed day.
hugs & blessings,
* Visit: lds.org
Gospel questions answered, Steps to prayer, Man's search for happiness, General conference talks, and more.